4.1.06

Marco Polo describes a bridge, stone by stone.
"But which is the stone that supports the bridge?"
Kublai Khan asks.
"The bridge is not supported by one stone or another,"
Marco answers, "but by the line of the arch that they
form."
Kublai Khan remains silent, reflecting. Then he adds:
"Why do you speak to me of the stones? It is only the
arch that matters to me."
Polo answers: "Without stones there is no arch."


from Invisible Cites by Italo Calvino

& then drawing and text
from Noa Noa by Paul Gauguin (The Tahiti Journal 1894-1896)

...through her I enter into mysteries which hitherto remained inaccessible to me. But, for the moment, my intelligence does not yet reason out my discoveries; I do not classify them in my memory. It is to my emotion that Tehura confides all this that
she tells me. It is in my emotions and impressions that I shall later find her words inscribed. By the daily telling of her life she leads me...


l'a-ro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Notice

Notice

This web site is provided for information only. No claims are made of accuracy or validity, and no responsibility will be taken by the author for events arising from use of the information provided.

Creative Commons LicenceThis website is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

© All material present on this site is copyright to the author and should not be published elsewhere in any form without appropriate permission. However, any of the information contained at this site may be downloaded for personal use as defined by the Creative Commons Licence.

The content of linked sites are not under our control and we are therefore not responsible for the content of any linked sites or any subsequent links contained in a linked site. These links are provided as a convenience to the visitor and their inclusion does not imply our endorsement.