7.5.06

return if lost

Took a trip to the great Northwest, following with my eyes the rivers and lakes and passes of Luwes and Clark from 36 thousand feet (seeing the path lit like those of Indiana Jones). There is one thought every flight about my seeing this cross section of America. Sure these people are the ones wealthy enough to fly and worldly enough to have friends or family outside of their home town, but where else are you going to get such a cross section- the miss usa pagent? And I ask everyone I see, smilingly from the zanax washed down with drop top amber, are you the one I'd go to war with, are you my brother in arms?

The city of Portland is 36 miles from Latourell Falls, which was given to the people of the world by the friends of a Mr. Talbot (who robbed the world of what we call old growth), a nice enough gift for a time before Ipods. My friend Bianca showed my the falls, along with a few others, but assured me that many more were viewable durring the rainy season (49 weeks out of the calander year I hear), I replied "the water must have to go somewhere". And it does, into some hundred or so micro-brewed beers crafted within the greater Portland area (this is also called the greater northwest).

I haven't travelled in America enough to realise that Portland is a place I really want and would enjoy living in. I haven't met enough people to know that those who choose a place because of its proximity to nature, its natural focus, and its simplicity are those I would like, and maybe fall in love with. I haven't loved my parents enough to leave them for any of those things. I haven't lost enough not to risk everything. I haven't gone far enough and have been exactly half a world away.

la humanista

2 Comments:

Blogger friars said...

nice perspectives
don't stop wandering
ever

vikingo

3:56 PM  
Blogger friars said...

checked-out that school, out there? Take er easy.

r

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Notice

Notice

This web site is provided for information only. No claims are made of accuracy or validity, and no responsibility will be taken by the author for events arising from use of the information provided.

Creative Commons LicenceThis website is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

© All material present on this site is copyright to the author and should not be published elsewhere in any form without appropriate permission. However, any of the information contained at this site may be downloaded for personal use as defined by the Creative Commons Licence.

The content of linked sites are not under our control and we are therefore not responsible for the content of any linked sites or any subsequent links contained in a linked site. These links are provided as a convenience to the visitor and their inclusion does not imply our endorsement.