3.3.07

Ah Minneapolis with a Frosting Ghazal

Okay, now, so, here I am- in some faux Las Vegas (very not Vegas) or vegetative

atmosphere in the middle of Minni, the city in the land of lakes
I've met two Somalis since I've landed, come here from Mogadishu, funny...
Have I met a Minnesotan? What am I here for?
I wrote a play which might, MIGHT be performed here tomorrow
(if not then I am here for nothing!)
The University gave me money to be, to represent them I guess, but the Somalis don't care
and I have no t-shirts or mugs to hand out. Here, in this "American Bistro" the bread is good and very Italian, the pasta- fusion, and everything is under priced and expensive.
When your feet get tired, your back stiff, and your mind bogged you will do anything, i.e.: spend $20 on a sleepy pasta, admit you are Taliban, give away your mother's tomato sauce recipe, etc dot dot dot
EVERYONE IS IN NEED OF A GOOD SALESMAN, everyone. If someone could sell me, oh! I am so valuable, a rarity, a real treasure- tomorrow I'll have to find cheaper grub.
I am now craving vegetables, I often do. This is mind and body meeting. Soul, virtue, spleen, spirit, reason, all meeting in one mouth, in the effort of the chewing, in the jaw tension- the mmm...

Stop bowing your head to me, I don't mind all the "Mr. Roth" stuff, but don't physically do it.

One life is not enough to assure, to be best-able.

(Old woman catches my eye in the mirror, she "says") You remind me of a boy I once knew. The town was small, quaint, pastoral American. You delivered newspapers. I was your last toss.

Humanista
do these things have to be two line bitties?

2 Comments:

Blogger friars said...

we've been going by this here from harrison:

" The ghazal is an antique form dating from the thirteenth century and practiced by hundreds of poets since… I have not adhered to the strictness of metrics and structure of the ancient practitioners, with the exception of using a minimum of five couplets. The couplets are not related by reason or logic and their only continuity is made by metaphorical jump…"

hope your show goes up

4:26 AM  
Blogger detroit joel said...

it's a confusing form in different languages... here we just do at least five couplets!

but boy i really liked your piece here!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Notice

Notice

This web site is provided for information only. No claims are made of accuracy or validity, and no responsibility will be taken by the author for events arising from use of the information provided.

Creative Commons LicenceThis website is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

© All material present on this site is copyright to the author and should not be published elsewhere in any form without appropriate permission. However, any of the information contained at this site may be downloaded for personal use as defined by the Creative Commons Licence.

The content of linked sites are not under our control and we are therefore not responsible for the content of any linked sites or any subsequent links contained in a linked site. These links are provided as a convenience to the visitor and their inclusion does not imply our endorsement.