31.3.07

Sawatdee. I really enjoyed reading and writing in this Ghazal exchange. I enjoyed the freedom in writing them—not having to tell a specific story but seeing where the words would go. It was also nice to hone down thoughts into two lines. I agree with El Ad’s description of them as
“an experience or a revelation followed by a leap, leaving a mood”
and
“a reservoir for moments of surprise.”

I am honored to have participated. Here are my favorite lines.

HUMANISTA

I said what I needed to say
It was not what I wanted to hear myself say

The office pleads with me, begging me
Okay fine, I'll push your plastic buttons

Human nature is an invention of mankind, ever expansive
Ever notice how nature doesn't need excuses for murder

You shouldn't take pride in finishing something
That you took no pride in doing

Dear hope, do you mention me in your future plans?
I sometimes depend on you for a smile


VIKINGO

i never really had a truly spectacular peach
this whole fruit business is a pack of lies

i wrote and wrote... really taking a shit for the soul,
i hope i don't start commenting on myself.

the bark of the date palm is a crusty shield which
shelters a broken city drowning in baby's tears

a mexican just fixed our water purifier (machine thing)
oh how the tables have turned!

standing halfway in the calm blue river,
all of nature working together for silence.

EL ADVENT

the lake and the sky are in love
they share each other's thoughts

she said, “they made fun of me”
“death,” he said, “does make us feel stupid”

we’d married, divorced, mended; had children, sighs, tears,
smiles, disputes—then none! all before she even wrote back

worms sleeping in the garden
angels float on Chicago’s appetite

where i am from is where i am
its a circle i never quite fit inside

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Notice

Notice

This web site is provided for information only. No claims are made of accuracy or validity, and no responsibility will be taken by the author for events arising from use of the information provided.

Creative Commons LicenceThis website is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

© All material present on this site is copyright to the author and should not be published elsewhere in any form without appropriate permission. However, any of the information contained at this site may be downloaded for personal use as defined by the Creative Commons Licence.

The content of linked sites are not under our control and we are therefore not responsible for the content of any linked sites or any subsequent links contained in a linked site. These links are provided as a convenience to the visitor and their inclusion does not imply our endorsement.