19.7.06

For Matthew Ernest Testolin, on the anniversary of his birth

First, I wish to extend a special thanks to my friend, Joel. I don’t believe that I took the time to thank him proper for his poem, and extending a hand during a time of great pain and confusion. The days we spend crossing paths with loved ones and strangers not ever knowing fully where on the road we stand or move can be at once daunting and awe inspiring. I guess when we do brush past one another all we need to do is be fully present, and give ourselves entirely to that moment. What else do we have? Anyway, thank you, friend. It was my honor to eulogize my nephew at his memorial service. Finding words to justly honor a life is a scary endeavor. You don’t want to fuck it up. The night before I had no idea what to say, how to form my feelings, not a clue. I began paging through some books, reaching. I picked up a book that was given to me years ago by a friend, “The Fisherman’s Guide To Life”, and opened to a passage that read: “If the fish don’t want to bite, let them not be caught.” So I went to bed. The next morning I woke and went for a walk. Over a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee I wrote the poem below for Matt, and read it later that morning at his memorial service. Matthew died on July 4, 2006 at 29 years of age, two weeks shy of his 30th birthday. He fathered four children and had a fiancé all of whom he enjoyed camping and fishing with. He was a hunter, and was no stranger to the ways of the wild. He had problems, show me one among us that doesn’t, but everything Matthew ever did was out of love or wanting to be loved. There will never be anything so beautiful as someone who wants to be loved. And Matthew was beautiful. The last time I saw Matt was at his sons’ soccer games, a couple weeks before he passed. I sat next to him for the match and we shared what was to be our last conversation in this life. We talked mostly about how he was doing. He said he thought he finally found a job that he was good at, and that he really enjoyed, as a plumber’s apprentice. I told him that it was probably in his blood; my mother’s dad was a plumber. We had a great day, and the last thing Matt said to me was “See you in Oscoda”. Matthew, less than seven years younger than me, was not just my nephew; he was my brother. Today, July 18, 2006, Matthew would have been 30 years old. So as I get ready to head north to Oscoda on Saturday, as is the rest of the Hawkinson / Testolin / Premier clan, we will carry with us his memory, of his laughter, his beautiful heart and his courageous passage through this world of form. Eternal rest be granted unto you, my brother, and may perpetual light shine upon you.

Love, Your Brother, John


Oscoda Sky
(For Matthew)

Walk down to the lake
And cast out your line
Morning cools and breaks into a blue
Through the outstretched arms of the White Pine
As you pitch your tent on the shore
Throwing the Petoskey Stone and making it skip
With sand-coated knees, the dunes behind us
Wade out into the soft currents
For laughter colors the Oscoda sky
Eternal canopy of light, falls onto
Gracing the skin, glow
Like your children
Dancing on your shoulders
You are with the one’s you love now
Brother
Now
And forever

3 Comments:

Blogger friars said...

Hawk, sometimes i am in awe of your strength my brother. glad i could be of help in that tremendous time. and thank you for all you've given me. Cast a line into the Oscoda clouds for me... your heart belongs to the Great Lakes. See you at the ballgame tonight.

--joel vikingo el

2:06 PM  
Blogger detroit joel said...

poem... vikingo to hawk july sixth

i saw your stone gray eyes again
the ones that cause calamity
while accepting your award for
being indiscriminate
mothers flowered the earth
with petals of sorrow
i looked the other way again
and thought of Bobby's words:
"just remember that death is not the end"

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Notice

Notice

This web site is provided for information only. No claims are made of accuracy or validity, and no responsibility will be taken by the author for events arising from use of the information provided.

Creative Commons LicenceThis website is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

© All material present on this site is copyright to the author and should not be published elsewhere in any form without appropriate permission. However, any of the information contained at this site may be downloaded for personal use as defined by the Creative Commons Licence.

The content of linked sites are not under our control and we are therefore not responsible for the content of any linked sites or any subsequent links contained in a linked site. These links are provided as a convenience to the visitor and their inclusion does not imply our endorsement.